Tuesday 1 July 2008

Tamoxifen


Hi There,

This weekend I had my first hot flash (or flush as said in the uk) of course I was not sitting quietly reading, but driving my car in Dupont Circle (the gallery district) with a friend.  If you have ever had the flu and a raging fever, that was it, because not only could I hardly walk, I could hardly stand up!  

It was a usual Washington summer day with the humidity nice and high to give me an instant steam bath as we stepped outside to get me something to eat.  We wandered over to Teaism, where in the bathroom I was stuck on the toilet seat which seemed like an eternity. Coming to with the sound of a gentle knock and the inquiring question of "are you okay" I realized no I wasn't. I splashed my face with water to try and wash the green look I now had on, no good I looked awful. I emerged to see a kind face of concern, mine embarrassed to be such a bother (how English of me).  I noticed a friend's place of work, the Marsha Matekya Gallery was just opposite so we headed over there so I could sit in peace.  I actually ended up in the basement stockroom hugging the floor in the fetus position for half and hour or so. Finally with a chill that washed over me, my first experience with Tamoxifen melted away with me feeling rather exhausted.  I moved from a supine position to sitting, and then, standing!  The rest of my day was actually rather pleasant as my friend and I saw a wonderful exhibition of photographs at the Phillips Collection.   Bret Weston, the son of Edward Weston- see it if you can it is really a treat!

No comments: